4 Ingredient Tortillas


Who knew tortillas could be so seductive? Am I right? I mean look at these babies. They're practically crying out "Come, take me... I'm yours." But really though, who doesn't love a warm soft tortilla. Now crafting the perfect tortilla can be a little daunting at first. Many of the "great" tortilla recipes often call for lard or other not so appetizing nastiness, but this recipe ain't got none of that. This recipe is simple, quick and pretty darn easy to make. Oh and delicious. Like honestly, this tortillas taste like they've been made with all the love an Abuela could give.  I'm staying with my dad right now till I relocate to Austin, so I thought I could safely bake my tortillas and photograph them in peace. I was wrong. I left the house for two hours and returned home with the intent to take pictures, only to find my little brother had eaten every last tortilla. At first I'll admit I was in quite a rage, but after some reflection I decided food thievery is the highest form of flattery and subsequently moved on with my life. Any whooooo, a few days later, after giving very strict prohibitions to my younger brother, I whipped up some tortillas and finally managed to take pictures of the elusive things, so now I'm finally able to share it with all you lovely folks.






Yields 10 tortillas
Ingredients
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup warm water
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
*Extra flour as needed for rolling*
Method
1. Whisk together warm water, salt and oil. Slowly stir in the flour 1/4 cup at a time with a wooden spoon until the dough forms into a ball. If the dough is still really sticky add an extra 1/4 cup of flour.
2. Separate the dough into 10 equally sized balls and set aside. Sprinkle flour over your work surface and proceed to roll out one of the balls until it is about 5 inches in diameter.
3. Heat your skillet over medium heat until it is too warm to touch. Place your uncooked tortilla on the hot surface and allow it to cook until bubbles form and the side is slightly browned. Flip and repeat on the other side. Repeat these steps until all of the tortillas have been cooked.
Serve warm. If you would like to save them for later, wrap them up paper towels and store in the fridge in an airtight container.


SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

Comments

  1. My mother is the queen of tortillas. Just a hint for you. She adds a bit of wheat germ to hers and it makes them have a great, nutty flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot have that kind of flour; will rye flour work? I'm fighting cancer & doing gerson therapy. Plz lemme kno, thx!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts