Pineapple Upside-Down Cake Smoothie


So like most people I love food. But you know what I love even more? Pretty food! If my meals are colorful and bright I am so much more excited to make and eat them. Now think what kinds of foods are normally just beyond attractive? Desserts! Cupcakes, cake, cookies. Nomnomnom. Gorgeous. Pretty food is food that more often than not is what gets eaten. Buuuut if I use the super powers of prettiness and apply them to healthy food... TADA! Suddenly I am that much more excited about my healthy meal. Today I've partnered again with Melissa's Produce to bring you the most beautiful and healthy smoothie ever! Their produce is always delivered fresh to your door and did I mention it is always very easy on the eyes. I mean if you're intent on making a pretty meal you just got to have some fine looking ingredients!




For this recipe I knew I needed to add some additional sweetness to give it a little flair and cake-y-ness. I ended up choosing agave and coconut sugar because they are low on the glycemic index without being pumped full of chemicals like many alternative sugar-substitutes. Plus both of these sweeteners have a distinctly topical taste that really takes this smoothie to the next level. If you're really hardcore you can leave out all sweeteners and just let the fruit do it's thing. It'll still be super delish, but if you're really craving that upside-down cake goodness don't be afraid to add them in. 


Yields 2 8oz smoothies
Ingredients 
4 cups chopped Pineapple from Melissa's Produce
1/4 cup agave
1/2 cup almond milk
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup Bing Cherries from Melissa's Produce 
2 tbsp coconut sugar

Instructions 
1. Blend all ingredients except the cherries and coconut sugar in a blender until smooth. Pour the pineapple smoothie into a pitcher and rinse out the blender.
2.  Blender cherries and coconut sugar. Add a little water 1 tbsp at a time to get a smoothie consistency.
3. Pour the cherrie smoothie evenly into the bottom of two glasses then top both off with the pineapple smoothie. Serve cool or chilled.


Disclosure: I received materials from Melissa's Produce for this recipe. Posts are truthful, and all thoughts and opinions are my own and not influenced by this sponsorship. Recipe is an original creation by Emilie Melton at looseleafvegan.blogspot.com. 

Comments

Popular Posts