Deviled Potatoes (A vegan substitute for Deviled Eggs)


Being vegan is so much fun! It really forces you to think not only about the consequences of your actions as a consumer, but it also gets your creative juices pumping! I love making vegan versions of classic recipes and watching people's faces as they try them. At first they give me the "eye". The oh-my-gosh-you-are-so-weird-but-I-guess-I'll-humor-you eye. Then they actually try the food and their faces screw up in confusion and then delight. It's the most fun thing ever to watch! In continuation of my Super Bowl themed vegan foods I decided to try my hand at deviled eggs. These darlings are oh so cute and easy. Plus the "yolk" tastes very similar to normal deviled eggs. I brought these to my mother's birthday party and she spent the entire night saying "But I don't understand...They taste just like eggs..." Oh mother dear you amuse me so tehehe. But you don't have to take my mom's word for it! No one else at the party was vegan besides me yet somehow these potatoes had all disappeared by the end of the evening. The truth is in the empty serving platter y'all. So whip these up, share them with your friends, and giggle as rock their taste buds and their world.




Yields 12-16 deviled potatoes depending on how high you fill the skins
Ingredients
8 yukon potatoes sliced in half lengthways
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp vegan mayo
5 tbsp vegan sour cream
2 tbsp dijon mustard
1/2 tsp tumeric
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp salt

Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a baking sheet with olive oil and lay the potatoes with the sliced side facing downwards. Bake potatoes for 45 minutes. Remove potatoes from the oven and allow them to cool until you are able to touch the skin without discomfort.
2. Carefully scoop out the insides of the potato out leaving the skin intact. I found it easiest to leave a thin layer of the potato insides stuck to the skin in order to keep the shape. Place the potatoes insides in a medium bowl and mash them.
3. In the same bowl add in the remaining ingredients and stir until smooth.
4. You can simply use a spoon to refill your potato skins with the potato "yolks", but if you'd like to be extra fancy put your potato mixture in a piping bag with a tip and pipe your "yolks" into the skins.



Check out these other Vegan Super Bowl recipes here:


Comments

  1. Love your SuperBowl snacks and three cheers that they're vegan and so easy to do. Thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you serve these warm or cold? I was thinking of making them a day in advance.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts